ICNP 2023 Call for Travel Grant Applications
The purpose of the Travel Grant Program of IEEE ICNP 2023 is to encourage junior researchers' in-person participation in the conference by partially funding the travel costs for those who would otherwise be unable to attend.
People from underrepresented groups are particularly encouraged to apply.
In selecting applicants for travel support, preference will be given to those who satisfy one or more of the following criteria:
- Applicants who are first-time attendees or students from under-represented groups.
- Applicants co-authors of accepted papers, including at workshops and posters.
- Applicants without alternate means of support.
Applicants are expected to show evidence of a serious interest in computer networking, as demonstrated by coursework and project experience.
The amount will depend on the applicant’s estimated expenses, our budget, and the number of applications.
All grants will be given to applicants who plan to attend in person.
How to Apply
The following information should be submitted in a single PDF file:
A CV with complete contact information and email address. If you are a US-based student, you must also state your visa status, including those on student visas (F-1, J-1, etc.).
- A personal statement (no more than 1 page) that indicates the applicant will attend IEEE ICNP 2023 in person and includes information that the applicant feels is relevant to support her/his case on how the student would benefit from attending IEEE ICNP 2023. This includes why conference attendance is important to the applicant's research and career development.
- The applicant should mention any papers or posters they submitted or have accepted and whether they are presenting any work (including if it is in one of the workshops or the poster session).
- The applicant should also state if she/he has applied for any other funding support.
- On a second page, applicants must include the estimated expenses for attending the conference (total and breakdown by conference registration, travel, lodging, and meals).
- State which registration category they plan to select.
- A supporting letter from the advisor stating:
- The suitability of the ICNP program material to the student's research area;
- Confirmation that the applicant is in good standing at the institution;
- How ICNP will benefit the student’s research progress;
- the strengths and potential contributions of the student;
- Confirmation that the advisor can cover the remaining cost of the travel if a travel grant is awarded.
Applications that do not include the above items will not be considered. The expectation is that a student travel grant will significantly offset the expenses though it may not fully cover these expenses.
Before awarding a travel grant, the organizing committee may request further clarifications from the student advisor.
Important Notes about Reimbursement
Funds can only be used toward registration, travel, sustenance, and lodging. To support as many students as possible, the amounts awarded will defray costs, but may not necessarily cover all costs. Funds will be disbursed only in the form of reimbursements for actual expenses. A receipt is required for any expense reimbursed (e.g., registration, airfare, and hotel receipts).
NOTE: US-based students MUST fly on a US carrier as required by NSF.
For reimbursement, the student must submit the following information:
- Original receipts for travel, lodging, and conference registration. For travel receipts, please include boarding passes and/or receipts for train/cabs. For lodging, please include a receipt from the hotel in addition to the online hotel reservation.
- A summary listing all the expenses.
- An application for this travel grant is an implicit acceptance of these terms.
Submit your travel grant application here
Please pay attention to the following details about the travel grant application and reimbursement process:
- Please provide complete contact information. We will need to have your current physical mailing address (no PO boxes). Please take into account any address changes you may have near the time of the stipend deadline, for example, due to school breaks. You will be notified via email, so make sure your email address is correct on your application.
- The IEEE ICNP Student Travel Grant Committee makes the decision on student travel grants. Grant applicants should ensure that they have the proper travel documents (i.e., visas) to travel to and enter Iceland, and return to their home institution after the conference.
If you have any questions, please send them to all travel grant co-chairs: Flavio Esposito (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Chen Qian (email@example.com).
||August 31st, 2023
|Notification of awards:
||September 15th, 2023 (tentative)
If an applicant wants to receive full consideration, they should apply by Aug 31st. However, the application is still open after Aug 31st and late applicants may receive the travel grant if there is extra funding.